Swellby Charlotte Lagarde
A portrait of a community of four generations of women surfers in Santa Cruz.
Set in Santa Cruz, California, SWELL features women longboard surfers whose ages span four generations. It is a portrait of a community which shares their best waves, embraces new comers as well as old timers and comes together in a beautiful memorial, to show respect to the one they lost in the water, surfing. Swell is setting the record straight by revealing that women do surf and do it well!
Swell, as its name implies, builds and crashes, moving us to ride out the emotional wave of the filmmaker’s vision triumphantly.
Women of Vision
A Beautifully Intelligent and Poignant Film
San Jose Mercury News
AWARDS & SCREENINGS:
- Gold Apple Award National Educational Media Network, 1997
- Isabella Liddell Art Award Ann Arbor Film Festival, 1997
- Best Representation of Women Award Humboldt Film Festival, 1997
- 2 Stars Canadian International Film and Video Festival, 1997
- Honorable Mention Marin County Film Festival, 1997
Visit the official website for Swell
Subject: Women's Studies/Men's Studies